- - 9" (228mm)
- - 9 7/8" (250mm)
- - 10 5/8" (270mm)
- - 12 1/4" (311mm)
- - 13 3/4" (350mm)
- - 15" (381mm)
- - 16" (406mm)
|ROCK TYPE||SOFT||MEDIUM||HARD||VERY HARD|
|UCS/PSI/MPA||< 12,000/83||8,000/55 to 30,000/207||15,000/103 to 44,200/305||30,000/207 to 60,000/414|
Rotacan Advanced Performance (AP) rotary drill bits are manufactured using aircraft quality steel and premium carbide grades developed to suit the toughest application. Computerized designs using solid modeling, computerized manufacturing processes using the latest in CNC equipment and computer process controlled heat treatment ensure consistent, high quality, drill bits. Rotacan field staff and engineering work directly with our customers to test, report, and analyze, critical performance criteria for each drilling condition. Using this data in cooperation with feedback from the driller and Operations management, Rotacan Engineering provides a level of customization unique in the industry. Rotacan recognizes, as all drillers do, that all rock is not created equal.
MODEL SELECTION & OPERATING GUIDELINES
Advanced Performance – Rotacan AP drill bits are available in standard and customized models in four distinct series from AP4 through AP7 to provide rock drilling capabilities ranging from coal to iron. Performance data collected from each drill and ground condition is utilized to adjust and modify critical design parameters and achieve true advanced performance for our customers.
- Rock Formation Examples: Designed for soft formations including shale, siltstone, soft limestone and alluvial formations.
- UCS/PSI/MPA: >12,000/83
- Bit Weight: 1,000 to 5,000 lbs/inch of diameter
- RPM: 50 to 140
- IADC CODE: 4.1 - 4.4
- Rock Formation Examples: Designed for medium to medium hard formations including sulfide and oxide copper ores, soft iron formations, medium-hard sandstone, dolomite and limestone.
- UCS/PSI/MPA: 8,000/55 to 30,000/207
- Bit Weight: 3,000 to 6,600 lbs/inch of diameter
- RPM: 50 to 120
- IADC CODE: 5.1 - 5.4
- Rock Formation Examples: Designed for medium hard to hard abrasive formations; hard copper ores, hard sandstone, medium hard iron ore, schist, gneiss, metamorphic formations; granite and medium hard igneous rock.
- UCS/PSI/MPA: 15,000/103 to 44,200/305
- Bit Weight: 4,000 to 7,000 lbs/inch of diameter
- RPM: 50 to 110
- IADC CODE: 6.1 - 6.4
- Rock Formation Examples: Designed for hard and very abrasive formations; hard copper ores, hard iron, quartz and the hardest igneous formations.
- UCS/PSI/MPA: 30,000/207 to 60,000/414
- Bit Weight: 5,000 to 8,000 lbs/inch of diameter
- RPM: 50 to 80
- IADC CODE: 7.1 - 7.4
|1||Tungsten Carbide Inserts||4||End Roller||7||Shirt Tail Protection||10||Air Jet Nozzle|
|2||Ball Bearing||5||Ball Plug||8||Air Passage||11||Backflow Valve|
|3||Main Roller||6||Gage Protective Inserts||9||Water Separator||12||Threaded Pin Connection|
|1||Tungsten Carbide Inserts||2||Ball Bearing|
|3||Main Roller||4||End Roller|
|5||Ball Plug||6||Gage Protective Inserts|
|7||Shirt Tail Protection||8||Air Passage||9||Water Seperator||10||Air Jet Nozzle|
|11||Backflow Valve||12||Threaded Pin Connection|
Rotacan Advanced Performance (AP) Rotary Drill Bits are tailor designed in close cooperation with our customers to suit their specific, often harsh drilling conditions using their drill rigs and compressors. Design parameters affecting bit life and penetration rates include the Cone Profile wherein the Diameter, Quantity, Geometry, Extension, Spacing, and Grade, of premium grade tungsten carbide inserts are utilized to break the rock. The variables noted are collectively referred to as the bit Cutting Structure. A tailor made cutting structure provides our customer with the best combination of bit life and rate of penetration to yield the lowest cost per meter. In very harsh or abrasive conditions additional protection is offered by applying hard facing alloy material to reinforce critical wear areas of the bit. The cone surface directly behind the gauge row will have one or two rows of carbide gauge inserts to prevent early erosion of the steel. To prevent dirt and water contamination of the bearings in wet drilling conditions an optional backflow Valve is installed. To ensure efficient removal of the rock cuttings nozzles are properly sized to direct adequate air to lift the cuttings out of the hole while supplying sufficient air through the bearings and cones to keep them cool and prevent debris from contaminating the critical bearing area.
Click below to download the 2014 Rotacan Product Catalog.